Monday, May 25, 2009

Croup!

Last week was one of the worst weeks I've had since being a mom. Both boys and I got bad colds early in the week, then thursday morning about 4am Gabe came into our room saying he couldn't cough stuff out of his throat, then we heard how he was breathing...very labored! He'd cough then try to breathe then cry and start again. We tried steaming up the shower, that didn't help. Then I opened the freezer for cold air (it wasn't cold enough outside to use outside air like they tell you to). We eventually rushed him to the ER because it freaked us both out! They said he had croup. After 2 breathing treatments and a steroid shot, they sent him home. Then thursday afternoon Caleb started weezing for air the same as Gabe had the night before. I've read croup is worse at night, so I didn't want to wait to see how bad he would get, I took him to the doctor at 3pm. Dr. gave him liquid steroids to decrease the inflammation in the air way. He was pretty much normal then by 7pm!!!! Thank goodness we caught his in time. They still both have hacking coughs, but are much better and no longer contagious! I hope we never have to go through that again!

No comments: